
It is believed that golf was played in this portion of "links" land in the early 1500s making the Old Course truly live up to its name. I just kind of gazed out on to the open land and kind of realized how a game like golf would be invented here - in fact, it makes perfect sense. If the sheep herders didn't invent it, I certainly would have on my first European vacation.
Although I'm not a huge history buff or expert on the invention of earth moving machinery, I am fairly certain that back in 1500 they didn't have the earthwork luxuries of today. The land was left very much in its natural state and grass was cut to different lengths and holes were placed in the ground - it was very simple. The deep pot bunkers in Scotland are "revetted" where layers of sod were placed on one another to form a wall on one side of the bunker and making each bunker more or less a one stroke penalty. However there is in fact a reason for the revetting - with the coastal nature of most links courses, the bunker walls keep the sand from blowing all over the course while they also prevent players from shooting very low scores.

So who built the Old Course at St. Andrews? There are many contributors throughout history through renovations and what not and I'm sure somebody had a rough plan of what they were going to build back in 1500, but the real owner, architect, and contractor were the land, the wind, and the sea, collaborating on a fantastic joint venture.


No comments:
Post a Comment