Wednesday, October 7, 2009

To Union or Not to Union


I worked for a steel fabricator and erector for about a year (before I was politely asked to leave for reasons of which I am still unsure) who does the majority of their work in Philadelphia, New York City, and Atlantic City - all union towns. I once asked one of the old-timers at the company what would happen if we started erecting steel in one of these towns with non-union iron-workers. He looked at me like I just asked what would happen if the sun burnt out tomorrow. He replied, "You would not build a job non-union in Philadelphia."

I wonder if some thug named Joey would track you down and kill you? I'm certainly not going to find out. However, I am in a little bit of a quandary about a job in Philadelphia that I am bidding. The job is small so there is a chance that I could fly under the radar of the union, and honestly the chances of getting "taken care of" by the union is pretty slim. However, since this is a publicly advertised job, the chances of getting at least some picketers or something is relatively high given the number of union workers that are "on the bench". I've been advised to, "not worry about it".....gulp.

The other option of course is to hire a union contractor to do the job, which honestly isn't that bad of an idea, since the city has prevailing wages that must be paid to worker regardless of their union status. This is to ensure the competitiveness of the union. The union iron-workers that erected steel for me during my brief but eventful stint with the steel erector were good and certainly in the same league as any non-union iron-workers I've worked with.
The problem is that as a new company, subcontractors aren't jumping out of their chair in hopes of bidding one of my jobs. This is the disadvantage of not having a strong network of contacts in the area when starting a business. However, I must play the hand I am dealt.

I'm actually in favor of unions. Perhaps they push too hard at times, but if they were not there everything would be built by illegal immigrants whose bodies are disposed of in the nearest river after the job. This is a shame that human beings would do this just to make money, but it is unfortunately the case. A union provides a worker some security from fluctuations in the construction market that inevitably come along. If they are not working at the moment, they are still paid (I'm not sure if it is 100% or not) and they are given health and vacation benefits through the union instead of leaving it up to some stingy business owner that will probably just hire them on a temporary basis.

Unions absolutely give workers some security in their life so they can focus more on the task at hand and less about whether or not they will have a job tomorrow. As a construction manager I was constantly concerned about what was going to happen when we were finished the job I was working on and this absolutely affected my performance. I would ask where I'm going to go after this job, and they would skirt the question or make up a lie. This made me angry and anxious and it certainly didn't make me want to work harder for the organization. I eventually quit this company because they couldn't give me a straight answer on where my next job was going to be when we were nearly finished the one I was on. I decided to take one in the hand rather than something that may or may not be in the bush. Maybe I'll start a construction manager and project engineer union.

So for this small job I'm bidding, I'm hoping that I can find a union contractor, and if I can't, I may have to do some smooth talking to a picketer, but regardless, unions have their place and I've got no problem with them.





Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with the idea of unions, but unfortunately my experience with them has been nothing but negative. Last year I was standing on the dock of a high-rise office building while some furniture installers (all union) unloaded their delivery. The dock master physically manhandled me when he found out I was not union.

    HELLO. I am an interior designer. There is no union for interior designers. Furthermore I wasn't doing any work, I was only standing down there because there had been some previous confusion about where the delivery was supposed to go. While the dock master grabbed me and tried to push me out onto the street I was telling him to contact the building manager, showing him my card and that of the building manager and he was screaming sexist epithets. I ended up having to walk around the building to the main entrance, go to the Office of the Building, and be escorted by the building manager back to the dock. And the building manager wasn't even allowed to report this incident because the dock master didn't work for them. This is merely one example of my experiences with unions, but they are all similar.

    Once upon a time unions ensured safe working conditions but now they are nothing but patronage and a pyramid scheme to pad the pockets of the union leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A public, prevailing wage job? Did we get our bonding issues figured out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the bond isn't an issue any more. It really wasn't an issue before either, but I just couldn't get the letter of credit in time to bid the job.

    However, I was disqualified for the job by the city of Philadelphia for lack of experience. I'll probably post a blog about this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Unions absolutely give workers some security in their life"
    What security are you talking about John? As a small business owner I am insecure every day. I take the risk of building my business and provide employment to people. So, who will, and why should they, provide any security for me?
    Unions, not single handily though, brought down auto industry. They are the reason why some American products are not competitive on the world market.
    I am from the former USSR and don't care about unions much. They may have played their role many years ago, but now, when the government controls almost everything, there is no place for them in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I am new here, and what a conversation to start with!
    Talking about unions of which I am currently a member.
    Unfortunately, the comments all have some validity to them. I do not feel the unions are all rude, burly, sexist villains, I think you encountered a bad person who obviously is an asshole. I apologies for him too you.
    Moreover, to our Russian friend I would say the unions here in America do allot to keep workers from being paid so little money, that we all are standing in a bread line waiting for a government hand out.
    The unions as we know them today are very different from what they originally were. Whenever an organization becomes an intermediary between employees and business, the chance for corruption exists. There is a lot of money in the union and like any other organization, they are out to make as much as they can. I would be willing to bet that most the people in this group are out to make as much money as is possible from the work they do. Be it interior design or steel erection, or just operating a service that caters to any of the above professions .And I would also be willing to bet that there are plenty of non-union organizations that are just as corrupt on whatever scale they operate. Therefore, before I point a finger at anyone else I would take a good look into my own closet.
    However, with that said I can join you for a little union flogging. I don’t feel bad about saying that the union needs to be revamped. It is way past time for unions to be modernized and in touch with the reality of the day. Bad leaders, relentless bargaining and piss poor management is killing an otherwise needed organization. I see it often and have made it a goal to fight against it when ever it rears its ugly head (which is often) as you might have guessed they don’t like me, but they cant get rid of me. I represent many members of the trades through my site. I also spend much of my time working with members of different unions organizing out reach for the membership and helping my fellow workers to get the most from their chosen fields of endeavor. I wish I could tell you I make a bundle of money doing it but that would be a lie. It's probably a good thing though, because money can ruin you... (Lol)
    Nice meeting you all.
    Troy

    ReplyDelete